Can Laser Treatments Help with Hair Fall?
Nowadays, hair loss treatment has evolved into a multi-billion dollar industry. Majority of the treatments and hair products available are formulated and designed to help with hair fall treatment and can stimulate hair growth and protect it from further damage. For those who are losing their hair, choosing the right treatment is crucial.
Each day, people lose around over a hundred hairs from their scalp. While the majority will grow those hairs back without needing hair fall treatment, some people won’t be able to do so because of several factors. Some of the factors include:
- Poor nutrition
- Hormonal changes
- Medical conditions (i.e., diabetes and lupus)
- Side effect of certain medical treatments such as radiation or chemotherapy
Laser Treatment for Hair Loss
Low-laser therapy is also known as cold laser therapy or red light therapy. This laser treatment works by irradiating photons into the tissues of the scalp. The photons are then absorbed by the cells that are weak, resulting in hair growth. This procedure is less invasive, safe, and tolerable compared to hair transplant surgery.
The concept of laser treatment for hair fall and loss banks on the idea that laser treatments that are low dose can invigorate the circulation and stimulation that will cause the hair follicles. Many studies have proven the effectiveness of laser treatment for hair loss and has also produced promising results.
- A study done in 2014 revealed that low-level laser therapy is both effective and safe for hair growth in women and men.
- Another study done in 2013 revealed that laser treatment yielded a 39 percent increase in hair growth in a period of 16 weeks.
Benefits of Laser Treatment for Hair Fall/Loss
Laser treatment for hair fall/loss has several great benefits. Some of the most notable include:
- It’s noninvasive and painless. Laser treatment is noninvasive compared to other available procedures like hair transplant. Compared to other treatment options for hair fall/hair loss, laser treatment also has a way shorter recovery time.
- It has no known side effects. Research done on low-level laser therapy revealed that it’s a safer method to stimulate hair growth since it has no known side effects compared to other hair loss treatment options available.
- It is effective. Most studies conducted on low-level laser therapy revealed that it can effectively stimulate hair growth.
Scientific Research for Hair Fall/Loss
Much research has been done on the effects of laser treatment for hair growth. Most of them have been very promising. Below are some of the most notable:
- A scientific review done in 2014, they examined the results of different clinical trials done on low-level laser therapy revealed that it effectively stimulated hair growth in both women and men that are suffering from hair loss.
- A 2009 study published found out that laser treatment for hair loss also provided great improvements in overall hair growth as well as hair density in women that are suffering from moderate and extensive hair loss.
- Another evidence-based review done in 2016 looked into five clinical trial data and concluded that laser treatment for hair loss is both effective and safe especially for those individuals with pattern hair loss.
- A recent review published in 2020 examined data from 10 controlled trials and concluded that laser treatment has been highly effective in treating pattern hair loss.
Price of laser treatments can vary based on several factors including the severity of the condition, the kind of laser device used during the treatment, and the severity of the condition.