One Health Cares

Health Blog


An Overview Of Alcohol Poisoning

A person’s brain cannot function properly because of a build-up of alcohol in the blood. It is also referred to as an alcohol overdose. When ingested in large quantities, alcohol has a depressive effect.

To put it another way, it interferes with the body’s normal functioning. This affects neurologic functions such as respiration, heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature. As a person’s blood-alcohol level rises, the depressing effect becomes more noticeable. The withdrawal symptoms are usually the opposite of the effects and side effects of the drug is muscle pain, sweating and vomiting. 

What Is The Best Way To Cure Alcohol Poisoning?

If someone is suffering from alcohol poisoning, you should seek medical assistance as soon as possible. In a medical context, the following terms will be used by healthcare practitioners to communicate.

  • IV fluids 

Intravenous fluids are administered to patients suffering from dehydration (IVs). It is possible to raise blood sugar levels by drinking more water.

  • Oxygen administration

When administering oxygen, oxygen providers can use a nasal cannula, a flexible tube clipped to the nose. It may be necessary to place a small tube into the windpipe if a patient has difficulties breathing.

  • Bowel pumping 

Medical experts can remove toxins from the stomach by inserting a tube into the patient’s stomach.

  • Filtration of blood

If the kidneys cannot remove the alcohol from the blood, dialysis may be performed to do this.

What Happens If You Get Alcohol Poisoning?

The consequences of alcohol poisoning might be life-threatening in some instances. If a person has taken an excessive amount of alcohol and has overdosed, the following symptoms may manifest themselves:

  • Amnesia or blackouts are possible.
  • Hypoglycaemia can result in seizures.
  • Hypothermia.
  • Either the heartbeat is irregular or completely stopped.
  • When vomiting is very severe, it can result in dehydration, seizures, lasting brain damage, or death, depending on the severity of the vomiting.

Final words 

Acute alcohol poisoning is a potentially life-threatening condition that should not be taken lightly. Early recognition of the signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning and prompt medical attention can save a life.